26 May 2009

Taking it Easy

Our day started when Tucker woke up a little before 6 am.  This was unheard of back in Tennessee, as Tucker has always been a great sleeper and not one to get up early.  The problem we have here is that the sun rises between 4:30 am and 5 am.  By 6 am, Tucker already thinks he has overslept because it is so bright outside.  Once Tucker is awake, there is no sleeping in for anyone else.  I got up with the kids and played and watched TV, while Chad tried to sleep a little longer.  Eventually we traded and I got back in bed and Chad hung out with the kids.  It was especially tough to get up this morning since we had such a long day yesterday.

While we were getting ready to go have coffee, biscuits and cake in the refectory, Caroline fell asleep.  She was completely out!  This changed our plans for the day, as I was going to sneak out during naptime and go to the store.  So Chad and Tucker went to the refectory and I stayed home so Caroline could sleep a little longer.  I had a feeling that this was the only sleeping she was going to do today so I needed to take advantage of it! 

Chad and Tucker came home, and Caroline and I went out.  We desperately needed some things from the grocery store, but I didn't want to make the 20 minute trek to the co-op.  I decided that Caroline and I would make a trip into Huddersfield via bus.  All I had to say was "bus" and Caroline was ready to walk out the door.  I know I have said it before, but she really, really loves riding on the top deck of the double decker bus!  It is so much fun to watch her point out a million ordinary things that seem ten times more exciting when viewed from the top of the bus.  A blue car!  A tower!  Daddy's church!  Try House (McDonalds)!  A cute doggie!  A man on a bicycle!  The list goes on and on.

Since we didn't have any boys to slow us down, off we went to explore new parts of the city.  Our first stop was the Try House, as I promised Caroline she could get some "tries."  From there we went to several charity shops and clothing stores that Chad and Tucker would not have wanted to go in.  We found two shirts for Tuck, a hooded sweater for Caroline and a purple jumprope.  Caroline also got a candy bracelet for being a good listener when I needed her to get back in the stroller.  It was fun going through the markets, not to mention ten times easier with just one child! 

About two hours had passed and we had not even accomplished our original goal of going to the grocery store.  To the grocery we went!  Caroline was great and surprisingly did not disagree when I asked her to ride in the cart.  I had a backpack on and folded up the umbrella stroller and put it in the cart, so I really needed her to be in the cart, as I did not want to chase her around the store.  Although this trip to Tesco (basically Walmart) went smoothly, it still was not easy.  The wheels on the carts are different than what we are used to, so it is much more difficult to maneuver through the aisles.  Also, there were a ton of people there today.  It was definitely more chaotic than what I am used to at the Winchester Kroger (even on senior citizens day!).  Another challenge, regardless of where you are, is trying to shop in a new, unfamiliar grocery store.  Needless to say, we survived and got everything on our list.  I was impressed that I was able to fit all our goodies (about $35 worth of stuff) in my backpack, and since Miss Independent wanted to walk, I took advantage of an empty stroller and filled it with groceries.  It was a short walk back to the bus stop and before we knew it we were home.

Now for the pictures.  After dinner the kids really needed to get out of the house so Chad took them to the goldfish pond.  As always, they brought me back flowers they had found along the way.  Caroline is always so excited..."We got you flowers, Mom!"  Here are a couple pictures of her in the kitchen watching Daddy, and Tucker trying to see what's going on, too.  I was trying to get a shot of his semi-black right eye.  It is definitely looking better.  I don't know exactly what happened, but I have a good feeling Caroline threw a toy at him in retaliation for him having thrown something at her.  I'm not sure what is on the agenda tomorrow...I just hope it doesn't start as early as today did!

No comments: