23 September 2009

Talking

My little baby boy Tucker is not my little baby boy anymore. Ok, so maybe it has been a long time since he has been my baby, but I still think of him as that. He has been speaking in sentences since July, but not everything he says is a full sentence. His first sentence was this summer on the Exmore playground. He looked out at the road and said "I see a bus!" No surprise that the word "bus" was in his first sentence. He has been speaking better and better each day. At this point we understand more of what he says than not. This certainly makes life much easier.

So, this afternoon Tucker and I were in the kitchen while Caroline finished her nap. I left the room for just a second and heard the sweetest little angel voice say "Mommy, where are you?" He spoke these words as clearly as I could have. In fact, for a brief second, I thought that maybe Caroline was up from her nap and calling for me. I responded and said, "I'm right here" as I entered the kitchen. He looked up at me and smiled and said "OK." At that moment I realized that he was more little boy than baby. I'm not ready for that...I want my precious little cuddly baby boy back! Thankfully he is still (and will always be) precious and cuddly when he chooses to be, but baby no more.

No comments: